POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd sphere sweep shadown problem happens in RC5 : Re: Odd sphere sweep shadown problem happens in RC5 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd sphere sweep shadown problem happens in RC5
From: Jochen Lippert
Date: 14 Jul 2002 16:08:49
Message: <1ffbyig.jdg9iy92ikgwN%jlippert@mac.com>
Slime <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:

> I experienced a similar problem and posted a beta bug report about it, but
> no one responded. How did you say you fixed it? I'm willing to bet it *is* a
> bug; for me, it only occured when I set the spheresweep to no_image.

If he really set the tolerance to 1, this value is much too big,
usually. The tolerance describes how far a (reflected) ray must *at
least* travel from the surface of the object towards a light to not cast
a shadow. This value should be very small, close to the pre-set
0.000001. Making it bigger should lead o less self-shading, but setting
it to 1 may cause other funky effects. :)

Jochen Lippert

--
No smilies were harmed in the making of this message ;)