POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Standard "Real" paint colors Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:34:32 EDT (-0400)
  Standard "Real" paint colors (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jon Berndt
Subject: Standard "Real" paint colors
Date: 22 Feb 2002 12:28:04
Message: <3c767fa4@news.povray.org>
Has anyone (here in the U.S., at least) made an include file that contains
color specifications for real pain colors that one might purchase at a
hardware store such as Home Depot? I am referring to standard Behr, Glidden,
or Ralph Lauren paint colors. I have started one (for paint colors of my
choosing). I am doing some renderings of a bedroom I am remodeling. Using
these colors - while not perfect - sure helps.

Jon

Post a reply to this message

It shouldn't be too difficult if you can get the mixture formulas. It
would probably be easier to design the color you want using the standard
rgb and get a color printout of the color you want, then have the paint
store match it.

I can get color samples at gliddens web site. If you have a program that
can return the color of a pixel on the screen you're halfway there

Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom
http://www.spiritone.com/~english

Jon Berndt wrote:

> Has anyone (here in the U.S., at least) made an include file that contains
> color specifications for real pain colors that one might purchase at a
> hardware store such as Home Depot? I am referring to standard Behr, Glidden,
> or Ralph Lauren paint colors. I have started one (for paint colors of my
> choosing). I am doing some renderings of a bedroom I am remodeling. Using
> these colors - while not perfect - sure helps.
>
> Jon

Post a reply to this message

> Has anyone (here in the U.S., at least) made an include file that contains
> color specifications for real pain colors

Keep in mind that "real" paint is more than just a color.  It will also have a
distinct finish that sometimes even depends on the surface material it was
applied to.  So the task is a bit more difficult than it may seem at first.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> Keep in mind that "real" paint is more than just a color.  It will also
have a
> distinct finish that sometimes even depends on the surface material it was
> applied to.  So the task is a bit more difficult than it may seem at
first.

Yes, one would have to specify whether the finish is:

1) Flat
2) Eggshell
3) Satin
4) Semi-gloss
5) Gloss

I will also be trying to figure out how to simulate a "sponge-on" paint
technique. Perhaps I'll even try rag-roll, etc.

Jon

Post a reply to this message

> Has anyone (here in the U.S., at least) made an include file that contains
> color specifications for real pain colors that one might purchase at a
> hardware store such as Home Depot? I am referring to standard Behr, Glidden,
> or Ralph Lauren paint colors. I have started one (for paint colors of my
> choosing). I am doing some renderings of a bedroom I am remodeling. Using
> these colors - while not perfect - sure helps.

Check out kolors2.inc on my website. It is based on a color list taken from
a paint distributor - http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html

For finishes you are on your own :)

--
Ken Tyler