POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : particles and moving objects Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:33:05 EDT (-0400)
  particles and moving objects (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Simon Adameit
Subject: particles and moving objects
Date: 21 Feb 2002 11:25:13
Message: <3c751f69@news.povray.org>
I want to do a little animation with flowing particles but I don't know how
I can make them to interact with moving objects. I thought that I could do a
trace from the point where they would be to the point where they are. But
before trying this I would like to know how you let your particles interact
with moving objects.

Post a reply to this message

> I want to do a little animation with flowing
> particles but I don't know how I can make them
> to interact with moving objects.

Wow, are you too developing a particle system? Seems to be quite a trend! ;)

> I thought that I could do a trace from the point
> where they would be to the point where they are.
> But before trying this I would like to know how
> you let your particles interact with moving objects.

I suggest you read the thread in povray.binaries.animations called
"Collision /w moving object" from December 2 2001 posted by me.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)

> Wow, are you too developing a particle system? Seems to be quite a trend!
;)

Not really. I just saw all those particle animations and this made me want
to play a bit with such things.

> I suggest you read the thread in povray.binaries.animations called
> "Collision /w moving object" from December 2 2001 posted by me.

Does your system also work with non moving particles?

Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Date: 21 Feb 2002 13:51:00
Message: <3c754194@news.povray.org>
"Simon Adameit" wrote:
> > Wow, are you too developing a particle system?
> > Seems to be quite a trend! ;)
>
> Not really. I just saw all those particle animations
> and this made me want to play a bit with such things.

If you have little experience with particle systems I wouldn't recommend
collision detection with moving objects as the first thing to implement...

> Does your system also work with non moving particles?

I don't understand. The whole point of particle systems is to make the
particles move dependent on certain criteria as far as I have understood. My
system does however have support for creating images and not just
animations, but the particles still "move" in the virtual space of the
simulation calculations before the result is presented in the image.

From: Simon Adameit
Date: 21 Feb 2002 14:15:16
Message: <3c754744@news.povray.org>

> If you have little experience with particle systems I wouldn't recommend
> collision detection with moving objects as the first thing to implement...

It's the second thing ;) I already have collision detection with non moving
objects.
So what would you recommend doing next?