POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bent text? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Bent text? (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Extended object pattern (was Re: Bent text?)
Date: 15 Feb 2002 13:14:59
Message: <chrishuff-AB1A7F.13144615022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <o1fq6uk3k4bmuu1kqeqd0mmpgu976nlg45@4ax.com>,
 W?odzimierz ABX Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:

> Well, I have an idea around this problem. In the truth it's even feature
> request. What about changing definition of Inside method of objects ?
> I mean if it could return not only yes/no to describe object but variable
> float value to describe distance (not in units) to surface just like
> isosurface does. So positive value means outside, zero means surface, negative
> means inside.

This is what I've been doing for the updated proximity pattern/glow
patch. (which is on hold until POV 3.5 is complete)
However, it would be a very bad idea to replace the Inside() method with
this, as it would often take much longer to compute proximity than to
figure out inside/outsideness...I just added a new proximity method.
(two actually...one for proximity of a point, another for proximity of a
ray)

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/