POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : co-incident surface question Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:55:13 EDT (-0400)
  co-incident surface question (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: co-incident surface question
Date: 1 Feb 2002 16:55:45
Message: <3c5b0ee1@news.povray.org>
Honest this is not a feature request.

I was curious as to why POV doesn't solve the problem of c.s. surfaces.

What are the difficulties of implementing, or the disadvantages of having
some sort of automatic precedence?

so...

union{
    box{0,1}
    box{0,2 translate y*1}
    pigment{White}
}

would resolve in order of listing, with the c.s. of the first box "beating"
the c.s. of the second box.

In the above example (and in many RLCoding situations) it doesn't make any
difference anyway, since the material is the same for both.

just curious ...

Post a reply to this message

> I was curious as to why POV doesn't solve the problem of c.s.
> surfaces.

<snip>

> In the above example (and in many RLCoding situations) it doesn't make
> any difference anyway, since the material is the same for both.

In the situations where it does matter, it is very simple to model
so that the surfaces no longer coincide, but still achieve the desired
effect.

In other words, the problem went unsolved because the need to solve it
is not very urgent.

--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message