POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:33:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Ben Chambers
Subject: Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update
Date: 24 Jan 2002 23:51:17
Message: <3c50e445@news.povray.org>
"Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message news:...

> "Ole Laursen" <ola### [at] hardworkingdk> wrote in message
> news:87h### [at] bachcomposers...
> > > If someone is willing to invest the time/money to make a product that
> > > uses CSDL, I would have nothing against them charging for their
product
> > > or withholding the source code for their work, as long as they make
any
> > > changes/enhancements to CSDL available. People will only buy it if it
is
> > > better than the free stuff, and if the developer makes something
better,
> > > I'll thank them.
> >
> > Follow your heart. :-)
> >
> > But I think it would be wise to choose a GPL-compatible license.
>
> Sorry I'm jumping in the middle, but I only just started reading this
> thread...
>
> IIRC, the LGPL should work.  The way I read it (and I hope someone
corrects
> me if I'm wrong), you can make a commercial product available using
> something LGPL'd, but you have to provide object binaries to link against
> newer versions of whatever LGPL'd stuff is there (though you don't have to
> guarantee compatability with future versions).  Now, as I see it, dynamic
> linking already provides this functionality so, if you distribute your
> program in a form that uses dynamic linking, you're ok.  Although, I'm not
> lawyer, so I'd like someone to correct me if I'm wrong...
>
> ...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Licensing
Date: 25 Jan 2002 16:26:44
Message: <chrishuff-0B5ED8.16281125012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c50e445@news.povray.org>,
 "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> IIRC, the LGPL should work.  The way I read it (and I hope someone
> corrects me if I'm wrong), you can make a commercial product
> available using something LGPL'd, but you have to provide object
> binaries to link against newer versions of whatever LGPL'd stuff is
> there (though you don't have to guarantee compatability with future
> versions).  Now, as I see it, dynamic linking already provides this
> functionality so, if you distribute your program in a form that uses
> dynamic linking, you're ok.  Although, I'm not a lawyer, so I'd like
> someone to correct me if I'm wrong...

Well, it looks interesting, but I'm not sure how it would be better or
worse than any of the others...
Does anyone have any reasons to *avoid* a particular license? Any input
at all? I think I've had a total of 3 suggestions, for 3 different
licenses...the Artistic License, GPL, and LGPL.
The main two licenses I'm considering are the Artistic License and the
LGPL, and I'm leaning strongly toward the Artistic License, which seems
generally simpler and more understandable.