POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update : Re: Licensing Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:42:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 25 Jan 2002 16:26:44
Message: <chrishuff-0B5ED8.16281125012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c50e445@news.povray.org>,
 "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> IIRC, the LGPL should work.  The way I read it (and I hope someone
> corrects me if I'm wrong), you can make a commercial product
> available using something LGPL'd, but you have to provide object
> binaries to link against newer versions of whatever LGPL'd stuff is
> there (though you don't have to guarantee compatability with future
> versions).  Now, as I see it, dynamic linking already provides this
> functionality so, if you distribute your program in a form that uses
> dynamic linking, you're ok.  Although, I'm not a lawyer, so I'd like
> someone to correct me if I'm wrong...

Well, it looks interesting, but I'm not sure how it would be better or
worse than any of the others...
Does anyone have any reasons to *avoid* a particular license? Any input
at all? I think I've had a total of 3 suggestions, for 3 different
licenses...the Artistic License, GPL, and LGPL.
The main two licenses I'm considering are the Artistic License and the
LGPL, and I'm leaning strongly toward the Artistic License, which seems
generally simpler and more understandable.