POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea: util for "sharing" CPU power Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  idea: util for "sharing" CPU power (Message 21 to 26 of 26)
From: James Jackson
Subject: Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power
Date: 27 Dec 2001 17:38:25
Message: <3C2BA403.6010605@jamesjackson.info>
As a fun project, I'm also working on sharing out POVRay rendering over
a TCP/IP network (such as the Internet). Project doc is up at
http://www.newerawd.co.uk/parpov

James Jackson.

Gergely Vandor wrote:

> "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
>
>>I'd like to have such a program. Maybe it wouldn't even have to be
>>restricted to share power for Povray. But how will you split a Pov
>>
> rendering
>
>>into pieces? The wise people say you can't use multiple CPU's in one
>>computer, so how will you do it over the Internet?
>>

> Povray is able to render only a specified region of an image. It should be
> fairly easy to combine these regions to the whole image. Although as I'm
> writing this I'm becoming a bit uncertain since AA, radiosity, and photons
> (and maybe some other features too) can be problematic.
>

>>And there has to be done a lot for security as already said. Especially if
>>it's a broad application that allows other programs than Povray.
>>

> If we're talking about povray, the only  real risk is file IO, which can be
> restricted to a single dir.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gergely

Post a reply to this message

From: James Jackson
Date: 27 Dec 2001 17:45:06
Message: <3C2BA594.7000501@jamesjackson.info>
2nd reply - sorry :)

This sounds like it'a gonna turn into a very professionl job - my system
is very much an amateur job. I'm starting simple (ie only able to
specify render resolution, whether AA is turned on or off). When the
system is coded, I then intend to add further options (handling of
animation rendering, radiosity etcetc).

I make no claims to be an expert programmer (For a start I'm 17, still
at school, and never had any formal C++ training :) and I'm sure the way
I go about some things is a little arse-about-face, but It's good fun!

I welcome comment on my project document - anything is helpful.

Also, I have a little problem with calling POVRay. To calculate values
for the load sharing, I am performing timed test renders of each row in
a (scaled width) x 100 version of the scene. If I call POVRay with +SR1
+ER1, the whole image gets rendered. However, if I use a value greater
than 1, such as +SR6 +ER6, I only get that row (as required). What is
going on in the +SR1 case?

I'm using the latest 3.1 POVRay MSDOS binaries.

Cheers,
James Jackson.

Gergely Vandor wrote:

> "Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
> news:Md7### [at] econymdemoncouk...
>
>>Wasn't it Gergely Vandor who wrote:
>>

>>>Povray is able to render only a specified region of an image. It should
>>>
> be
>
>>>fairly easy to combine these regions to the whole image. Although as I'm
>>>writing this I'm becoming a bit uncertain since AA, radiosity, and
>>>
> photons
>
>>>(and maybe some other features too) can be problematic.
>>>
>>AA is not a problem. The pixels just outside the specified region are
>>calculated and used for the AA calculations, but are not output.
>>
>>For radiosity, what you probably need to do is arrange for a radiosity
>>savefile to be created once for the whole scene. The partial renderers
>>would then all load the same save file.
>>
>>I can't see that photons would be a problem at all. Photons interact
>>quite happily with objects that are outside the frame, so they should
>>work just as well with objects that are inside the frame but outside the
>>selected region.
>>

> Nice then, thanks for the info. :)
>
> Knowing this I believe that what I was thinking of is far from impossible.
> If there's demand for such a program, and there is no similar program in
> development right now (maybe the IMP project will give birth to the right
> thing), we could start to recruit programmers for the job :)
>
> And if we are talking about IMP, can anyone give details about the software
> they are making? How it will work, to what extent it is capable of doing
> what I was thinking of (or what other pov users would expect).
> I find their website confusing.
>
> ---
> Cheers
> Gergely

Post a reply to this message

James Jackson <jam### [at] jamesjacksoninfo> wrote:
[snip]
> Also, I have a little problem with calling POVRay. To calculate values
> for the load sharing, I am performing timed test renders of each row in
> a (scaled width) x 100 version of the scene. If I call POVRay with +SR1
> +ER1, the whole image gets rendered. However, if I use a value greater
> than 1, such as +SR6 +ER6, I only get that row (as required). What is
> going on in the +SR1 case?

(as per reply in comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing) - try using +ER1.1
(+ER1 seems to be interpreted as 100%, so the entire image gets rendered).

Post a reply to this message