POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea: util for "sharing" CPU power : Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:10:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power
From: James Jackson
Date: 27 Dec 2001 17:45:06
Message: <3C2BA594.7000501@jamesjackson.info>
2nd reply - sorry :)

This sounds like it'a gonna turn into a very professionl job - my system
is very much an amateur job. I'm starting simple (ie only able to
specify render resolution, whether AA is turned on or off). When the
system is coded, I then intend to add further options (handling of
animation rendering, radiosity etcetc).

I make no claims to be an expert programmer (For a start I'm 17, still
at school, and never had any formal C++ training :) and I'm sure the way
I go about some things is a little arse-about-face, but It's good fun!

I welcome comment on my project document - anything is helpful.

Also, I have a little problem with calling POVRay. To calculate values
for the load sharing, I am performing timed test renders of each row in
a (scaled width) x 100 version of the scene. If I call POVRay with +SR1
+ER1, the whole image gets rendered. However, if I use a value greater
than 1, such as +SR6 +ER6, I only get that row (as required). What is
going on in the +SR1 case?

I'm using the latest 3.1 POVRay MSDOS binaries.

Cheers,
James Jackson.