POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov 4 feature dream Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:11:38 EDT (-0400)
  pov 4 feature dream (Message 2 to 11 of 11)
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Subject: Re: pov 4 feature dream
Date: 28 Nov 2001 05:08:02
Message: <3C04B783.B4896963@atosorigin.com>
nLewis wrote:

> It's so simple, it can be done with a little patch if anyone wants to -
> How about having a command for POV to print out the post-preprocessed file -
> that is, the parsed file - so that if you have tons of macros and while's
> and if's you can generate a parsed file with a single command and quickly
> render an animation without re-parsing?
> Or just saving time?
> Or using the same file with minor changes?
> Or making a POV X.X scene backwards compatible easily? (If it has functions
> like trace())
> Or just for fun?
> this must be pretty easy to implement.

Your asking for a kind of POB format (text readable, but still same as POB).

It could be done at the end of the parsing, running through each object,
 if you add a function for each object & pigment & finish & interior & ...
 that would get its data structures and produces a text output.

Beware, you might save parsing time (next time) but not space.
 (a small set of #while can save you millions of lines).
Interestingly, it might convert all meshes in mesh2 format...

Post a reply to this message