POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV to GIF? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  POV to GIF? (Message 26 to 35 of 65)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: POV to GIF?
Date: 19 Nov 2001 07:01:32
Message: <3bf8f49c@news.povray.org>
Kari Kivisalo <ray### [at] engineercom> wrote:
: Yes, for advanced users 24-bits isn't enough :)

  That's exactly why I'm amazed that most image manipulation softwares
(including the top-of-the-line ones, like photoshop) do not have good
support for color depths higher than 24 bits. Most don't have any support,
some of them (eg. photoshop) have some support, but it's very limited (eg.
most filters don't work in that mode).

  In the audio world the situation is completely different.
  In hifi editing, CD-quality is laughably poor. 48kHz is the absolute
minimum, and the most common standard for high-quality sound editing is
96kHz, 24 bits per sample (either stereo or 5.1 channels, depending on what
you are doing).
  A professional hifi person will NEVER use a 44.1kHz device for what he
wants to do. It just isn't enough.

  I have the feeling that we can do these approximate relations with respect
to quality:

  Audio              Image
  -----              -----
  44kHz, 16bps  <->  8 bits per color channel (3-4 channels)
  96kHz, 24bps  <->  16 bits per color channel (3-4 channels)

  I'm just amazed that professionals don't demand the higher quality.
Just editing b/w images with 8 bits per channel is awful (you have only
256 shades of gray, which is completely insufficient for professional work).

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I

Post a reply to this message

>   I'm just amazed that professionals don't demand the higher quality.

They do and thus don't use Photoshop but dedicated software by Barco,
Nastassia, Dr.Wirth and many others.

Ingo

: They do and thus don't use Photoshop but dedicated software by Barco,
: Nastassia, Dr.Wirth and many others.

  Oh, I thought that photoshop was kind of #1 in image editing. I was wrong
(and for some reason happy about it...).