POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV to GIF? : Re: POV to GIF? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV to GIF?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Nov 2001 08:16:52
Message: <3bf90644@news.povray.org>

3bf8f77f@news.povray.org...
> ingo <ing### [at] homenl> wrote:
> : They do and thus don't use Photoshop but dedicated software by Barco,
> : Nastassia, Dr.Wirth and many others.

It really depends on what is considered a "professional". Every professional
printshop/studio I've worked with uses photoshop as its main tool. I don't
know about Photoshop's shortcomings, but it looks that these people are
pretty happy with it. After all, 100% of their work involves making
brochures and business cards where apparently the sort of quality obtained
with more sophisticated software would just be a waste of money. For these
people, who represent probably the largest market share for Photoshop, I
guess that 24-bit editing is more than enough as it's unlikely that the
readers of a mail-order lingerie/powertools/stationery/whatever catalogues
will complain about the colours being a little flat.

Off-topic rant : it seems that lots of people consider that a "professional"
tool is some sort of supertool and that using it makes you a (condescending)
superhuman. I'd say that's marketing-enhanced snobbery in 90% of the cases
(the remaining 10% beging those few with an actual profesional need for the
extra bells and whistles). A professional tool is just the right one for the
job, period. If someone makes a good business using a particular tool, then
this tool is professional, but nobody needs a sledgehammer to swat flies...

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com