POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blobman 5.0? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Blobman 5.0? (Message 1 to 10 of 39)
From: Tony[B]
Subject: Blobman 5.0?
Date: 14 Oct 2001 17:22:51
Message: <3bca022b@news.povray.org>
I was thinking, while using it (v4.2), that it still has a ways to go before
it's "aesthetic". Right now, it's kinda cartoony... and ugly at that. Have
you looked a blobman face lately? Eech. Anyway, my point is that everyone
should pitch in a bit and help make blobman better. Peter Houston hasn't
POVed in almost a year, and he can't do it all by himself. We need to work
together to (among other things) refine the features of the face, and give
the user greater control over them. More poses would also be nice. I'm
working on a "sitting at the computer" pose, and trying to animate it a bit.
That would also be great, libraries of movements for blobfolk. Any takers?
Greg, maybe you would be willing to use what you've has learned with your
blob people?

Post a reply to this message

"Tony[B]" <ben### [at] catholicorg> wrote in message
> I was thinking, while using it (v4.2), that it still has a ways to go before
> it's "aesthetic". Right now, it's kinda cartoony... and ugly at that. Have
> you looked a blobman face lately? Eech. Anyway, my point is that everyone
> should pitch in a bit and help make blobman better. Peter Houston hasn't
> POVed in almost a year, and he can't do it all by himself. We need to work
> together to (among other things) refine the features of the face, and give
> the user greater control over them. More poses would also be nice. I'm
> working on a "sitting at the computer" pose, and trying to animate it a bit.
> That would also be great, libraries of movements for blobfolk. Any takers?
> Greg, maybe you would be willing to use what you've has learned with your
> blob people?

If it's aesthetics you want I'm in favor of meshes. If you insist on blobs
though then you should check out the '97 irtc "School" round 2nd place winner.
Those are some of the best blob people I've ever seen. The source is included.

http://www.irtc.org/stills/1997-04-30.html

"Plastics" by Lorenzo Quintana Juez

http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1997-04-30/plastics.jpg
http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1997-04-30/plastics.zip

--
Batronyx ^"^
bat### [at] cadronhsacom //old & going away

Post a reply to this message

I was dozing off when I was waken up by Tony[B]:
> I was thinking, while using it (v4.2), that it still has a ways to go
before
> it's "aesthetic". Right now, it's kinda cartoony... and ugly at that. Have
> you looked a blobman face lately? Eech. Anyway, my point is that everyone
> should pitch in a bit and help make blobman better. Peter Houston hasn't
> POVed in almost a year, and he can't do it all by himself. We need to work
> together to (among other things) refine the features of the face, and give
> the user greater control over them. More poses would also be nice. I'm
> working on a "sitting at the computer" pose, and trying to animate it a
bit.
> That would also be great, libraries of movements for blobfolk. Any takers?

I think that the hard work has been done, i.e. creating blobman from
scratch. I'm quite sure that making blobmen look better it's not that hard:
you just need to resize this component, translate a bit that one and so on.
It would be GREAT if we could have a series of good-looking blobmen and a
library of predefined poses (just like in Poser).

--
Jonathan.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm quite sure that making blobmen look better it's not that hard:
> you just need to resize this component, translate a bit that one and so
on.

Yeah, well, who wants to do it?

> It would be GREAT if we could have a series of good-looking blobmen and a
> library of predefined poses (just like in Poser).

There *are* several poses in the blobman package. I'm working on a few more
myself.

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm quite sure that making blobmen look better it's not that hard:
> > you just need to resize this component, translate a bit that one and so
> on.
>
> Yeah, well, who wants to do it?
>
> > It would be GREAT if we could have a series of good-looking blobmen and a
> > library of predefined poses (just like in Poser).
>
> There *are* several poses in the blobman package. I'm working on a few more
> myself.

I'd love to work on the face and even the rest of the figure, but my time is
very limited - I haven't even gotten much further on my car yet. Where is this
blobman anyway? I'm very good at drawing faces - it's also very frustrating when
I get requests from people with notsopretty faces and they know I make faces
look better while maintaining resemblance.

- Nekar

---