POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it real...? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  Is it real...? (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Bill DeWitt
Subject: Is it real...?
Date: 13 Oct 2001 10:25:16
Message: <3bc84ecc@news.povray.org>
Just wondering how many people try to model reality, and how many try to
model an appearance of reality. For instance, when you need a crowd of trees
in the background, are you more likely to make a bunch of trees, or will you
put up an image map of some trees on a box? When trying to make a texture,
do you make it in detail every time, or do you let it slide if it is too far
back for all the normals to be seen?

    Since I always tend towards animation, I try to make things real. It
means that some projects just don't get done. But if I ever want to do a
walk through of one of my scenes, nothing ends up looking bad from the other
side.

    Just curious, no intent to disparage either method or assume that people
should use one exclusively of another. I just get the feeling that people
who aren't as hung up on reality are the ones that send us such good scenes
more often than others.

Post a reply to this message

"Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom> wrote in message

>     Just wondering how many people try to model reality, and how many try
> model an appearance of reality. For instance, when you need a crowd of
trees
> in the background, are you more likely to make a bunch of trees, or will
you
> put up an image map of some trees on a box? When trying to make a texture,
> do you make it in detail every time, or do you let it slide if it is too
far
> back for all the normals to be seen?

Having thought about this particular thing many times before I think I might
know my answer by now.
I put things together mostly by building from scratch, only cobbling a scene
together.  However, I've tried a few things which I wanted to be based on
reality as perceived or as photographed or even as measured.  So what
happens is that I create from that primary habit of piecing stuff together
but if the subject is realism, or rather reality, then I use sources to go
by.

>     Since I always tend towards animation, I try to make things real. It
> means that some projects just don't get done. But if I ever want to do a
> walk through of one of my scenes, nothing ends up looking bad from the
other
> side.

Yes, and that's why stage-propping a scene is faster, easier and yet can be
too lacking.

>     Just curious, no intent to disparage either method or assume that
people
> should use one exclusively of another. I just get the feeling that people
> who aren't as hung up on reality are the ones that send us such good
scenes
> more often than others.

The old saying, art for arts sake, but if it doesn't match up with a
preconceived idea it is destined to failure.  Actually that could be
debatable.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

>     Just wondering how many people try to model reality, and how many try to
> model an appearance of reality. For instance, when you need a crowd of trees
> in the background, are you more likely to make a bunch of trees, or will you
> put up an image map of some trees on a box? When trying to make a texture,
> do you make it in detail every time, or do you let it slide if it is too far
> back for all the normals to be seen?

A bit of both.  I will usually start by trying to model things as they
should be (almost to the point of thinking about intermolecular bonds)
but after hours of frustration, will reluctantly revert to faking it.

But still can't come to terms with the concept of using object libraries
or scanned images, unless told to.  I have so many failed reinvented
wheels lying around my hard disk, it's not even funny.

>     Since I always tend towards animation, I try to make things real. It
> means that some projects just don't get done. But if I ever want to do a
> walk through of one of my scenes, nothing ends up looking bad from the other
> side.

Same here.  I have spent numerous hours finagling over details that go
on the back of an object that would appear facing the camera, just in
case I wanted to reuse it at another angle or making sure that moveable
parts are.

>     Just curious, no intent to disparage either method or assume that people
> should use one exclusively of another. I just get the feeling that people
> who aren't as hung up on reality are the ones that send us such good scenes
> more often than others.

Agreed.  This is the main reason I've only ever submitted one IRTC entry.

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a orthographic}

Post a reply to this message

Mostly I just model stuff. I don't worry about making a scene.
Maybe that is why I don't ever post pics here.

Bill DeWitt wrote:

>     Just wondering how many people try to model reality, and how many try to
> model an appearance of reality. For instance, when you need a crowd of trees
> in the background, are you more likely to make a bunch of trees, or will you
> put up an image map of some trees on a box? When trying to make a texture,
> do you make it in detail every time, or do you let it slide if it is too far
> back for all the normals to be seen?
>
>     Since I always tend towards animation, I try to make things real. It
> means that some projects just don't get done. But if I ever want to do a
> walk through of one of my scenes, nothing ends up looking bad from the other
> side.
>
>     Just curious, no intent to disparage either method or assume that people
> should use one exclusively of another. I just get the feeling that people
> who aren't as hung up on reality are the ones that send us such good scenes
> more often than others.

Post a reply to this message

I tend to experiment with reality in both modelling and texturing, at the
expense of getting any serious project finished of course.

-tgq

"Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom> wrote in message

>     Just wondering how many people try to model reality, and how many try
> model an appearance of reality. For instance, when you need a crowd of
trees
> in the background, are you more likely to make a bunch of trees, or will
you
> put up an image map of some trees on a box? When trying to make a texture,
> do you make it in detail every time, or do you let it slide if it is too
far
> back for all the normals to be seen?
>
>     Since I always tend towards animation, I try to make things real. It
> means that some projects just don't get done. But if I ever want to do a
> walk through of one of my scenes, nothing ends up looking bad from the
other
> side.
>
>     Just curious, no intent to disparage either method or assume that
people
> should use one exclusively of another. I just get the feeling that people
> who aren't as hung up on reality are the ones that send us such good
scenes
> more often than others.

Post a reply to this message

>     Just wondering how many people try to model reality, and how many
> try to model an appearance of reality. For instance, when you need a
> crowd of trees in the background, are you more likely to make a bunch
> of trees, or will you put up an image map of some trees on a box?

It depends on the level of detail required.

> When trying to make a texture, do you make it in detail every time, or
> do you let it slide if it is too far back for all the normals to be
> seen?

My textures are rarely complicated, so I can afford to make them work
at all scales.

Regards,
John
--