POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scene file version request Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  scene file version request (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: MR
Subject: scene file version request
Date: 1 Oct 2001 08:27:10
Message: <3bb8611e$1@news.povray.org>
hello,

i'm a newbie, and i've been downloading scene files from
p.b.s-f and p.t.s-f.  although this post refers to those groups,
i did not post this in the scene files group simply because
this is not a scene file.  slap me if i'm wrong.

very big thanks to the generous people who share their
hard work with everybody.  but one small and humble request:

if its not too much trouble, please post the version necessary
for the render in the text part of your message.  i've down-
loaded a tornado, animated cloth, and chess set and unzipped
them only to find they were megapov when they died in pov.
there was no mention of this in the text of the message.

since i'm a newbie, i'm trying to stick with the latest official
version of pov, and save the unofficial patches for when i'm
more qualified to swim in more dangerous waters.

thank you, miker

Post a reply to this message

> if its not too much trouble, please post the version necessary
> for the render in the text part of your message.  i've down-
> loaded a tornado, animated cloth, and chess set and unzipped
> them only to find they were megapov when they died in pov.
> there was no mention of this in the text of the message.
>
> since i'm a newbie, i'm trying to stick with the latest official
> version of pov, and save the unofficial patches for when i'm
> more qualified to swim in more dangerous waters.

Postings in those groups usually refer to some discussion elewhere.  It's
often clear from the context what version they are made for.

NTL since this problem will probably not become less important with Povray
3.5 (the variety of different versions with different features will
probably increase) i would second your suggestion.

BTW there is nothing against using megapov for a newbie.  The old features
work just like in the official version and you don't need to use the new
ones.  And for example using radiosity should better be learned with the
new version.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> if its not too much trouble, please post the version
> necessary for the render in the text part of your message.

A fair request. I'll try to remember it in the future and hope others will
too.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)

> i'm a newbie, and i've been downloading scene files from
> p.b.s-f and p.t.s-f.  although this post refers to those groups,
> i did not post this in the scene files group simply because
> this is not a scene file.  slap me if i'm wrong.
>
> very big thanks to the generous people who share their
> hard work with everybody.  but one small and humble request:
>
> if its not too much trouble, please post the version necessary
> for the render in the text part of your message.  i've down-
> loaded a tornado, animated cloth, and chess set and unzipped
> them only to find they were megapov when they died in pov.
> there was no mention of this in the text of the message.
>
> since i'm a newbie, i'm trying to stick with the latest official
> version of pov, and save the unofficial patches for when i'm
> more qualified to swim in more dangerous waters.

In defense of myself, if it was my tornado.pov at povray.texts.scene-files,
it does say "// Vers: unofficial MegaPov 0.4" on the 3rd line of the message
text.  I most always have put which version can be used.  Don't know why I
skipped over doing so for the newer file at povray.binaries.scene-files.
Stupid of me, sorry.  And I saw just now that it was the one at the binaries
group.

That one at text.scene-files has comments about exchanging things to work
under v3.1 and uses just a cone and torus.  The binaries one simply must use
either MegaPOV or possibly v3.5 (although I haven't checked).

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

thanks for pointing to the other group for info on making it work
with 3.1.  i saw the jpg and animation, and they were both REAL
impressive.

and i apologize.  i didn't mean to pick on anybody specifically
when i posted.

thanks, miker

"Bob H." <omn### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> "MR" <a### [at] bnet> wrote in message news:3bb8611e$1@news.povray.org...
> >
> > i'm a newbie, and i've been downloading scene files from
> > p.b.s-f and p.t.s-f.  although this post refers to those groups,
> > i did not post this in the scene files group simply because
> > this is not a scene file.  slap me if i'm wrong.
> >
> > very big thanks to the generous people who share their
> > hard work with everybody.  but one small and humble request:
> >
> > if its not too much trouble, please post the version necessary
> > for the render in the text part of your message.  i've down-
> > loaded a tornado, animated cloth, and chess set and unzipped
> > them only to find they were megapov when they died in pov.
> > there was no mention of this in the text of the message.
> >
> > since i'm a newbie, i'm trying to stick with the latest official
> > version of pov, and save the unofficial patches for when i'm
> > more qualified to swim in more dangerous waters.
>
> In defense of myself, if it was my tornado.pov at
povray.texts.scene-files,
> it does say "// Vers: unofficial MegaPov 0.4" on the 3rd line of the
message
> text.  I most always have put which version can be used.  Don't know why I
> skipped over doing so for the newer file at povray.binaries.scene-files.
> Stupid of me, sorry.  And I saw just now that it was the one at the
binaries
> group.
>
> That one at text.scene-files has comments about exchanging things to work
> under v3.1 and uses just a cone and torus.  The binaries one simply must
use
> either MegaPOV or possibly v3.5 (although I haven't checked).
>
> Bob H.

Post a reply to this message