POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subsurface Scattering Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Subsurface Scattering (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: Simon de Vet
Subject: Subsurface Scattering
Date: 31 Aug 2001 22:56:34
Message: <Xns910EF3C23815Fsdevetistarca@204.213.191.226>
I was looking online for some good weathering references, and stumbled
across something even more exciting - subsurface scattering.

Subsurface scattering takes into account that many materials are slightly
translucent. Marble allows some light to pass a very short distance, as
does milk. Light hitting skin is not immediately reflected, but will
penetrate a few layers, diffuse, and then travel towards the viewer. The
examples I've seen are incredible. Such a small effect makes images
massively more realistic.

I haven't read the paper yet, but a copy is available at:
http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/~henrik/papers/bssrdf/

and some more example images are at:
http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/~henrik/images/subsurf.html

Please, take a look! I am not familiar enough with the inner workings of
POV to judge if this is implementable. If it is, it would be an incredible
step forward!

-- Simon

Post a reply to this message