POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subsurface Scattering : Re: POV 4.0 Wish List Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4.0 Wish List
From: Ken
Date: 1 Sep 2001 20:47:59
Message: <3B91828A.CC2CE95C@pacbell.net>
Warp wrote:

> : Efficient Rendering of Scenes with Many Objects (Like Plants):-
>
>   What would be more efficient than using meshes?

Meshes do have thier limitations. If I create something in POV-Ray
using primitve objects and CSG, then want to make several copies
of them, I would like them to be resource friendly. Meshes have
the problem that to get high detail they also require high triangle
counts. Even with the mesh optimizations you are still working
with extremely large file sizes. A three triangle blade of grass
is effiecent but a 3 million triangle mesh is boarders on
ridiculous.

--
Ken Tyler