POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries (Message 1 to 10 of 39)
From: Tilly
Subject: PIII/Athlon and P4 optimized Binaries
Date: 30 Aug 2001 14:18:59
Message: <3b8e8393$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

there is a new (second), unofficial Version of POVRAY at
http://students.washington.edu/sschmitt/pov/ for download. This Version is
optimized (with support from Intel) for PIII/Athlon and P4. And I'm deeply
impressed how immense the difference of rendertime between the non-optimized
and the optimized code is.

I use the POVRAY-File chess2.pov to compare CPU's at http://www.tabsnet.com/
since the Beginning of 2000. I hope, someone of you send me an Result of an
P4 running the new, optimized POVRAY-Version.

Here are some results of my Computer.
Rendertime in second with this Parameter :
-d -q9 +w800 +h600 +b1000 +r3 +a0.300 +v1 +ft -ichess2.pov

                                  Non-optimized  1'st optim.  2'nd optim.
Athlon 1200 MHz       542 sec.             436 sec.     300 sec.
Pentium III 667 MHz 1056 sec.            ----            689 sec.

Tilly

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:13:57 +0200, Tilly wrote...
> Hello,
>
> there is a new (second), unofficial Version of POVRAY at
> http://students.washington.edu/sschmitt/pov/ for download. This Version is
> optimized (with support from Intel) for PIII/Athlon and P4. And I'm deeply
> impressed how immense the difference of rendertime between the non-optimized
> and the optimized code is.

IIRC, this was discussed in April in a thread in this group that I
started, but the optimised version definitely makes a difference to the
performance on my system.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:13:57 +0200, Tilly wrote...
> Hello,
>
> there is a new (second), unofficial Version of POVRAY at
> http://students.washington.edu/sschmitt/pov/ for download. This Version is
> optimized (with support from Intel) for PIII/Athlon and P4. And I'm deeply
> impressed how immense the difference of rendertime between the non-optimized
> and the optimized code is.
>
> I use the POVRAY-File chess2.pov to compare CPU's at http://www.tabsnet.com/
> since the Beginning of 2000. I hope, someone of you send me an Result of an
> P4 running the new, optimized POVRAY-Version.
>
> Here are some results of my Computer.
> Rendertime in second with this Parameter :
> -d -q9 +w800 +h600 +b1000 +r3 +a0.300 +v1 +ft -ichess2.pov
>
>                                   Non-optimized  1'st optim.  2'nd optim.
> Athlon 1200 MHz       542 sec.             436 sec.     300 sec.
> Pentium III 667 MHz 1056 sec.            ----            689 sec.

<sigh>

That'll teach me to read articles more thoroughly before I reply to
them...

I managed to miss the important concepts of _new_ and _second_
versions...

<goes away to attempt to reboot brain with aid of brick wall and
concussive impacts...>

Bye for now,
     Jamie.

Post a reply to this message