POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using Photoshop layer as texture layer Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:49 EDT (-0400)
  Using Photoshop layer as texture layer (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Kari Kivisalo
Subject: Using Photoshop layer as texture layer
Date: 29 Aug 2001 10:02:20
Message: <3B8CF69D.E6AD07BB@engineer.com>
I tried to make some graffiti in PS and use it as top texture layer
with alpha channel (from the layer opacity) on otherwise finished
texture. The problem is getting the nice transparent edges to appear
the same in povray. Before the file is saved it must be flattened
and this means there must be some color below the graffiti layer.
That color is the broblem because there isn't a color that will
make the upper layer look right because it will be mixed with
the upper layer and creates a visible edge in the rendered image.

Here is how to export partially transparent layer from Photoshop
with colors and transparency intact.

1. Create new channel from layer transparency:
   Select/Load Selection/Channel: Layer Transparency.
   Click on "Save selection as channel" button on
   Channels window. Select/Deselect.

2. Restore full colors on layer. Repeat the following 8 times:
   Layer/Duplicate Layer. Layer/Merge Down.

3. Layer/Flatten Image. It doesn't matter what is on the bg layer
   because it is completely masked by the alpha channel.

4. Save as 32 bit tga.

Use the tga like this: pigment{image_map{tga "layer.tga"}}.

Anyone know why the top layer finish is applied to all layers? It sure
makes things complicated.

Kari Kivisalo

Post a reply to this message