POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Shuttle Radar Topography Mission Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Yooper
Subject: Re: Shuttle Radar Topography Mission
Date: 5 Aug 2001 10:17:11
Message: <3b6d5567$1@news.povray.org>
"Alan Holding" <Man### [at] btopenworldcom> wrote in message
> For those of you into heightfields (come on, no need to be ashamed about
> it), the SRTM is beginning to release some interesting stuff.
>
> Check it out here (click on Data Products on the bottom of the page):
> http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/
>
> Or check out this news story:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1472000/1472353.stm

  This originally in off-topic but I have some heightfield questions ...
I've always wanted to be able to use the DEM data for heightfields
but haven't a clue as how to get the data into a form that I can use.
Are there any tutorials for doing this?  Or ... can someome tell me
what DEM file formats to download and how to convert them to an
image that POVray will use ?
  I've never messed with heightfields either but will begin working
on figuring that out today.
TIA