POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bicycle model? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Bicycle model? (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: Bill DeWitt
Subject: Model Bicycle? ( was Re: Bicycle model?)
Date: 14 Jul 2001 09:54:07
Message: <3b504eff@news.povray.org>
Giving up on most of the available models I am attempting to model a
bicycle in MegaPov myself using isosurfaces for the frame. Unfortunately, my
idea about blobbing cylinders is not working too well, because when you
create a simple cylinder at an angle, it is somewhat flattened in one
direction.

    Is there a good way to rotate a function in isosurfaces before you blob
it?

Post a reply to this message

"Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom> wrote in message

>     Giving up on most of the available models I am attempting to model a
> bicycle in MegaPov myself using isosurfaces for the frame. Unfortunately,
my
> idea about blobbing cylinders is not working too well, because when you
> create a simple cylinder at an angle, it is somewhat flattened in one
> direction.
>
>     Is there a good way to rotate a function in isosurfaces before you
blob
> it?

    Sorry, here is what I am using now... I suspect I will need to make my
cylinders differently so that their end circles are tilted correctly.

#declare R = 0.25;

#declare  C1 = function { x*x + z*z - R*R }
#declare  C2 = function { y*y + z*z - R*R }

isosurface {
  function {   C1(x+y,y,z)
             * C2(x,y,z)
             - 0.001

             }
        method 1
        accuracy 0.001
        contained_by{sphere{0,3}}
        pigment {rgb .9}
        finish  { ambient 0.25 }
}

Post a reply to this message

>     Giving up on most of the available models I am attempting to
> model a bicycle in MegaPov myself using isosurfaces for the frame.
> Unfortunately, my idea about blobbing cylinders is not working too
> well, because when you create a simple cylinder at an angle, it
> is somewhat flattened in one direction.
>
>     Is there a good way to rotate a function in isosurfaces before
> you blob it?

Hello Bill,

Making the bicycle frame with an isosurface
is not an easy task, but the code below may
give you some hints.

(Note that I'm not sure if the possibility
to treat functions like I do below was
provided intentionally by the authors of
MegaPOV.)

Best regards,

--
Tor Olav Kristensen
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom

// ===== 1 ======= 2 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7 =
// Copyright 2001 by Tor Olav Kristensen
// mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom
// http://www.crosswinds.net/~tok
// ===== 1 ======= 2 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7 =

#version unofficial MegaPov 0.7;

#include "colors.inc"

// ===== 1 ======= 3 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7 =

#macro XYZrotFunction(Xrot, Yrot, Zrot)

  function {
    Object(
       (x*cos(Zrot) - y*sin(Zrot))*cos(Yrot) + z*sin(Yrot),
       (x*sin(Zrot) + y*cos(Zrot))*cos(Xrot) +
     (( x*cos(Zrot) - y*sin(Zrot))*sin(Yrot) - z*cos(Yrot))*sin(Xrot),
       (x*sin(Zrot) + y*cos(Zrot))*sin(Xrot) +
     ((-x*cos(Zrot) + y*sin(Zrot))*sin(Yrot) + z*cos(Yrot))*cos(Xrot)
    )
  }

#end // macro XrotFunction

// ===== 1 ======= 3 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7 =

#declare Sphere = function { sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) }

#declare RR = 0.25;

//#declare CylinderX = function { Sphere(0, y, z) - RR }
#declare CylinderY = function { Sphere(x, 0, z) - RR }
//#declare CylinderZ = function { Sphere(x, y, 0) - RR }

// ===== 1 ======= 3 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7 =

#declare Object = function { CylinderY(x, y, z) }

#declare A = pi/4;

#declare RotObject1 = XYZrotFunction(-A,  0,  0)
#declare RotObject2 = XYZrotFunction( 0,  0,  0)
#declare RotObject3 = XYZrotFunction( 0,  0,  A)

// ===== 1 ======= 3 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7 =

#declare BlobbingFunction1 =
function {
  RotObject1(x, y, z)*
  RotObject2(x, y, z)*
  RotObject3(x, y, z)
  -0.001
}

/*
#declare Thr = 1/10000;

#declare BlobbingFunction2 =
function {
  1
  -Thr^RotObject1(x, y, z)
  -Thr^RotObject2(x, y, z)
  -Thr^RotObject3(x, y, z)
}
*/

isosurface {
   function {
     BlobbingFunction1(x, y, z)
   }
   method 2
   max_gradient 10
//   accuracy 0.001
   contained_by { sphere { <0, 0, 0>, 3 } }
   pigment { color White }
   finish  { ambient 0.25 }
}

// ===== 1 ======= 3 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7 =

light_source {
  <10, 1, 0>*10
  color White
  shadowless
}

background { color Blue/2 }

camera {
  location <2, 3, -3>*2
  look_at <0, 0, 0>
}

Post a reply to this message

"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

Just out of curiosity, what are all the

things for?

Post a reply to this message