POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: new simple pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:08:43 EDT (-0400)
  Request: new simple pattern (Message 51 to 60 of 77)
From: Chris Huff
Subject: Re: Request: new simple pattern
Date: 12 Jan 2001 21:43:55
Message: <chrishuff-022295.21453612012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a5fb073@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> Why don't you just take the full step and remove all build-in solid
> patterns from POV-Ray. Or maybe preserve them for
> backward-compatibility, but at least generate a warning when used.

Speed, some patterns can't easily be done with the current function
syntax, etc...

> That would be the logical extension of the philosophy that no new
> patterns, no matter how general useful and powerful they are, can be
> added to POV-Ray.

It would be, but what does that have to do with this? Nobody is
following that philosophy...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

From: David Fontaine
Date: 12 Jan 2001 21:46:52
Message: <3A5FC075.C7B98698@faricy.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> Something I'd love to see in the parser, though perhaps it would be too
> confusing, is the ability to invoke macros using alternate syntax, so
> you could have macro invocations that looked more like first-class tokens.

I think that's a great idea, like a parser extention.

Actually, but this is probably going way too far, all the built-in patterns
and objects could be ripped out and put in external data files, then it would
be very easy to make new additions.