POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: new simple pattern : Re: Request: new simple pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: new simple pattern
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Jan 2001 10:52:13
Message: <chrishuff-79DC39.10534913012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A5FC075.C7B98698@faricy.net>, David Fontaine
<dav### [at] faricynet> wrote:

> I think that's a great idea, like a parser extention.

Maybe something like:
#keyword gradient2(Vect)
    // any pattern stuff...function {}, pigment_pattern, etc...
#end

This would add a new keyword with the "keyword keywordParameters"
syntax. You would then use "gradient2 GradienVector" to use the pattern.
Or maybe something like:
#block_macro MacroName(Parameters)
#end
This macro would be called like:
MacroName {Parameters}
instead of the usual parenthesis call.

> Actually, but this is probably going way too far, all the built-in
> patterns and objects could be ripped out and put in external data
> files, then it would be very easy to make new additions.

I've done something similar with a function include file that has
functions for most of the patterns. Most of the functions are just
pigment functions, but a few are implemented directly.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><