POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Benchmark Windows ME - big difference between command line and GUI Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  POV Benchmark Windows ME - big difference between command line and GUI (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Jan Danielsson
Subject: Re: POV Benchmark Windows ME - big difference between command line and GUI
Date: 21 Nov 2000 14:58:14
Message: <wnaqnavryffbasnyhaznvygryvnpbz.g4elew2.pminews@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:34:58 -0500, Jim Kress wrote:

>Just got a new computer with Windows ME and was trying the POV benchmark
>(skyvase.pov).  I ran it two ways using the Standard download of v3.1g with
>the following results:
>
>1) Windows ME command line   34 sec
>2) POV  GUI                             43 sec
>
>Quite a large difference!
[...]
>Anybody got any ideas why the difference was so large?

There's much happening "under the hood" in messagepassing operating systems.
Each time the statistics are updated on screen, Windows needs to do a few
messagepasses, clipping, etc.

In addition, Windows was designed to enhance visual feedback rather than
application performance.

....but OTOH, with a multitasking system, I find that raytracing _seems_ to
go faster than with a singletaksing system (In reality, it never will),
mainly because I can do other things while it's working. In addition, WinPov
will let you see a render window so you can see it something has gone wrong
with the scene.

With newer version of Windows, the overhead will just get larger. Either get
used to it, or boot "plain DOS" and render your large scenes using MS-DOS
versions.

 /j

Post a reply to this message