POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tutorial collection Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:29:24 EDT (-0400)
  Tutorial collection (Message 11 to 20 of 33)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Re: Tutorial collection
Date: 15 Nov 2000 09:52:34
Message: <3A12A1E2.A9510A1B@my-dejanews.com>
Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:

> Greg M. Johnson <"gregj;-"@aol.c;-om> wrote in message
> <3a117063$1@news.povray.org>...
> >Teach me. You're saying a problem with too many items in one directory?
> >Like how many is a problem?
>
> I don't know how many exactly but I remember from DOS and Windows 3.1
> that about 2000 entries in directory slow system down dramatically
> perhaps this is not limitation but reading method but
> what I want to say that povray philosophy is to be platform independent
> and as long there is dos version of povray
> you shouldn't use long filenames in your cdrom project
> (I know 10Best isn't IRTC but look at
> http://www.irtc.org/stills/rules.html at 4.f
> they point to ISO restrictions)
>
> ABX

Well, my philosophy is that only on rare occasions would anyone have to poke
around the raw directory structure. I don't want it to be like p.b.t.      I
aim to make it html navigable.  People will be confused & burdened with 200
subdirectories or with 2000 items in one directory.

Post a reply to this message