POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Transmit Value Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  The Transmit Value (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Rune
Subject: The Transmit Value
Date: 3 Nov 2000 16:45:33
Message: <3a0331fd@news.povray.org>
Could someone who knows the inner workings of POV-Ray (and MegaPOV) please
tell me why transmit values outside the range of 0 to 1 work as they do?

And why does it work differently in MegaPOV than in POV-Ray 3.1?

In povray.binaries.images I have posted some graphs that show how the
transmit value seem to work in POV-Ray 3.1, in MegaPOV 0.6, and how I would
like it to work.

The reason I would like the transmit value to work different is that if it
works my way (which is more simple), it can be used for many different
special-effects such as inverting pigments and contrast-enhancing pigments.

My suggested change will most probably not brake any old scenes because it's
not very common to use transmit values outside the range of 0 to 1. Values
between 0 and 1 will work the same way as it currently does.

I have brought up this subject before, but not got the response I hoped for.
This time I *really* hope for some feedback - especially from people who
know what they're talking about! ;)

If you don't want to use my suggested change, could you at least tell me
*why* it should work as it currently does?

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated October 9)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org

Post a reply to this message

> Could someone who knows the inner workings of POV-Ray (and MegaPOV) please
> tell me why transmit values outside the range of 0 to 1 work as they do?
>
> And why does it work differently in MegaPOV than in POV-Ray 3.1?
>
> In povray.binaries.images I have posted some graphs that show how the
> transmit value seem to work in POV-Ray 3.1, in MegaPOV 0.6, and how I would
> like it to work.
>
> The reason I would like the transmit value to work different is that if it
> works my way (which is more simple), it can be used for many different
> special-effects such as inverting pigments and contrast-enhancing pigments.
>
> My suggested change will most probably not brake any old scenes because it's
> not very common to use transmit values outside the range of 0 to 1. Values
> between 0 and 1 will work the same way as it currently does.
>
> I have brought up this subject before, but not got the response I hoped for.
> This time I *really* hope for some feedback - especially from people who
> know what they're talking about! ;)
>
> If you don't want to use my suggested change, could you at least tell me
> *why* it should work as it currently does?
>
> Rune

So you're saying that the colour should be simply (1-t)*pigment +
t*background ?
Sounds good to me.  I've used strange transmit values to modify the
background colour but in that case I usually use rgbt of
<0,0,0,SomeOddValue> so the change would not affect me.
BTW I don't know why MP clamps negative values to zero.

PoD.

Post a reply to this message

> So you're saying that the colour should be simply
> (1-t)*pigment + t*background ?

Yep. Just like it is for values between 0 and 1.

> Sounds good to me.  I've used strange transmit values
> to modify the background colour but in that case I
> usually use rgbt of <0,0,0,SomeOddValue> so the change
> would not affect me.

Here's an inverting pigment:
pigment {color rgb 0.5 transmit -1}

It works in official POV-Ray, but not in MegaPOV.

Here's a contrast-enhancing pigment:
pigment {color rgb 0.5 transmit 2}

However, it doesn't work. It would only work if the transmit value was
changed to work the way I suggest...

> BTW I don't know why MP clamps negative values to zero.

Neither do I and I would *really* like someone to explain it to me...