POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh smoothing Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh smoothing (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: growse
Subject: Mesh smoothing
Date: 8 May 2003 20:50:05
Message: <web.3ebafaa75948a0eecf020a570@news.povray.org>
Say I have a regular surface like a box, is there an easy simple way to just
smooth and round off the edges?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Mesh smoothing
Date: 8 May 2003 21:14:01
Message: <3ebb00d9@news.povray.org>
growse <pov### [at] growsecom> wrote:
> Say I have a regular surface like a box, is there an easy simple way to just
> smooth and round off the edges?

  Do you mean that you have a box as a *mesh*?

  If so, then I think this might be what you are looking for:
http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/sss.htm

> > Say I have a regular surface like a box, is there an easy simple way to
just
> > smooth and round off the edges?
>
>   Do you mean that you have a box as a *mesh*?
>
>   If so, then I think this might be what you are looking for:
> http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/sss.htm
>
> --
> #macro M(A,N,D,L)plane{-z,-9pigment{mandel L*9translate N color_map{[0rgb
x]
> [1rgb 9]}scale<D,D*3D>*1e3}rotate y*A*8}#end M(-3<1.206434.28623>70,7)M(
> -1<.7438.1795>1,20)M(1<.77595.13699>30,20)M(3<.75923.07145>80,99)// -
Warp -

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Post a reply to this message

> > Say I have a regular surface like a box, is there an easy simple way to just
> > smooth and round off the edges?
>
>   Do you mean that you have a box as a *mesh*?
>
>   If so, then I think this might be what you are looking for:
> http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/sss.htm

Not terribly useful in its present form.  I'm working on an update.
In any event, subdivision surfaces are not intended for smoothing
the edges of polyhedrons, but rather are for designing organic shapes.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> In any event, subdivision surfaces are not intended for smoothing
> the edges of polyhedrons, but rather are for designing organic shapes.

Is it possible to use your algorithm for making smooth transition
from trunk to branch, from branch to twigs in mesh trees saved
from POV-Tree? I think the most difficult part is to find intersections
because for example branches and trunk are separate meshes.

Gena.

Post a reply to this message