POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh smoothing : Re: Mesh smoothing Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh smoothing
From: John VanSickle
Date: 10 May 2003 09:17:25
Message: <3EBCFBE0.851FA662@hotmail.com>
Gena Obukhov wrote:

> John VanSickle wrote:
>
> > In any event, subdivision surfaces are not intended for smoothing
> > the edges of polyhedrons, but rather are for designing organic
> shapes.
>
> Is it possible to use your algorithm for making smooth transition
> from trunk to branch, from branch to twigs in mesh trees saved
> from POV-Tree? I think the most difficult part is to find
> intersections because for example branches and trunk are separate
> meshes.

The macros take a hull that has already been designed, and refines it
by replacing each face with a set of smaller faces.  The edges are
divided and the orginal points are moved slightly as well.  When this
is repeated a few times, the result is a curved surface.  With the
right hull, you can make almost anything.

For a tree macro, the macros should be fed a rough hull of the tree
(which is fairly easy to build); the marso would then make a smooth
tree.

Regards,
John