POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About POVTree, TomTree, .INC files and other stuff... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  About POVTree, TomTree, .INC files and other stuff... (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Christian
Subject: About POVTree, TomTree, .INC files and other stuff...
Date: 2 May 2003 17:55:04
Message: <web.3eb2e8995ed1d6c6236f2dea0@news.povray.org>
Hello, guys!

I'm Christian Munive...

(It's been a pretty looong time since the last time I was here... so maybe
you don't remmenber me... but it's ok)

I have a question to make.

Recently, I found POV-Tree... that nice GUI for TomTree...

Well, I loved it. And noticed it can export meshes in the POV format (.INC
files). And I was wondering if it's possible to translate meshes in POV's
format into other formats (as OBJ, 3DS or any other one...) so I could test
them and/or texture/teawk them properly in any other of the 3D tools I use
(you know... as Anim8or, AOI, Wings3D, and so on...)

Already tried with 3DWin... tried to import those meshes with other
software... but no. It wasn't supported.

Tried also Croosroads, as it seemed to support POV files (but v2.22, I
think)... and it throwed an error.

So I'd like someone to tell me:

1) Is there any package for Windows/DOS or OS-Independent that allows me the
import of POV meshes and output them in other formats?

And in the case it's not possible (I've seen that the opposite process -from
OBJ to POV- is possible, but not what I'm looking for), I'd like to know
the following:

2) Does anyone know how to teawk (manually) that POV-Tree INC mesh output
(wich seems to be compatible with POV 3.x) to make it compatible with POV
2.22? (So Croosroads can read it) -- I hope it's only a few keywords to
change... or else!!!!!

And finally:

3) If no of those alternatives is possible or practical... any suggestions?

Well, thanks in advance, guys. Hope you can help me with this. Bye.

Post a reply to this message

Here is quotation from: Mike Williams <mik### [at] econymdemoncouk>:

...I have written a little Perl
script that can convert the mesh files created by POV-Tree into OBJ
format, which can be used in a large number of modelling and rendering
systems...

Try to contact Mike directly.

Gena.

Christian wrote:

> [...]

>think)... and it throwed an error.
>
>So I'd like someone to tell me:
>
>1) Is there any package for Windows/DOS or OS-Independent that allows me the
>import of POV meshes and output them in other formats?
>
>And in the case it's not possible (I've seen that the opposite process -from
>OBJ to POV- is possible, but not what I'm looking for), I'd like to know
>the following:
>
>2) Does anyone know how to teawk (manually) that POV-Tree INC mesh output
>(wich seems to be compatible with POV 3.x) to make it compatible with POV
>2.22? (So Croosroads can read it) -- I hope it's only a few keywords to
>change... or else!!!!!
>
>And finally:
>
>3) If no of those alternatives is possible or practical... any suggestions?
>
>Well, thanks in advance, guys. Hope you can help me with this. Bye.

If you can run PERL scripts on your machine, I've written one that can
read the mesh files created by POVTree and convert them to OBJ format.
(I wanted to import the trees into another 3d package).

It's not smart enough to read all mesh files, it depends on knowing some
details of the format in which the POVTree mesh is written.

If you want it, I could post it to binaries.utilities

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message