POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Satellite Mosaic of Afghanistan, pigment interpolation? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Satellite Mosaic of Afghanistan, pigment interpolation? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Satellite Mosaic of Afghanistan, pigment interpolation?
Date: 13 Apr 2003 10:48:12
Message: <3E9994D3.7697F0EA@tiscalinet.de>
High!

After having found a usable Afghanistan heightfield with a relatively
high horizontal resolution (1
km/pixel, which in fact is not REALLY high...), I started to draw a soil
texture for this heightfield,
gleaned form an obviously postprocessed and also JPG-compressed
satellite mosaic of approximately
the same scale, albeit slightly tilted relative to the heighfield.

The task for me is now to interpolate the actual soil pigment color
irrespective of lighting/shadows,
which at the moment I can do only manually, by coarse guessing.
This is quite time-consuming and probably not very accurate, so I once
again ask here for an
*uncompressed* satellite mosaic of the region correctly oriented
northward, and perhaps also for
software which is able to do the pigment interpolation for me.

As the hue of colors close to <0, 0, 0> or <1, 1, 1> would be hard to
determine with ordinary 24-bit
color, it would be better to have the satellite image data in 36- or
even 48-bit depth, even if this means I
have to program an interpolation routine on my own...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Imaginaire (Serge Blenner)

Post a reply to this message