POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield of Afghanistan? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfield of Afghanistan? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Yadgar
Subject: Heightfield of Afghanistan?
Date: 4 Mar 2003 17:47:41
Message: <3E653D4F.AB872204@tiscalinet.de>
High!

As some of you here around may know, I'm striving for a "PoVghanistan"
since several years... that means firstly, I'm looking for a decent
heightfield of the country to model its topography. After some search,
I've fond that gorgeous 21600 by 10800 pixel 8 bit-greyscale map of
Earth (in simple cylindrical projection), cut out Afghanistan and its
close neighbourhood - but at only 2 kms per pixel, the whole thing has
to be greatly exaggerated in height, it's far from looking realistic.

Meanwhile, I started scanning topographic maps from the 1970s at
1:300.000 scale... extracting their 25 ... 50 ... 100 metre-interval
contour lines manually is cumbersome work, not to mention interpolating
the height levels in between. I calculated that, working 8 hours each
day, 7 days a week on this titanic heightfield task, I'll be finished
with entire Afghanistan by 2098 - unless I find a way to automatize the
interpolation process!

Is there any way to obtain publicly accessible elevation data
(preferably 16bit) of Afghanistan at a higher resolution than the 30"
DEMs (perhaps like the 3" USA DEMs with about 100 m/pixel)?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message