POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield of Afghanistan? : Re: Heightfield of Afghanistan? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfield of Afghanistan?
From: Ben T  Scheele
Date: 4 Mar 2003 22:34:52
Message: <3e65705c@news.povray.org>
James and Yadgar,
     I just had an idea for making height fields from contour maps.  You
could scan the maps, then use a paint program such as photoshop to create
gradations.  You would have to create a pallete with a different shade of
gray for each height interval.  You could then select the section to be
shaded using a magic wand tool, expand the selection by a bit to overlap the
lines, and fill it in with the corresponding tone on a separate layer.
After they are all filled you could use a median filter to blend the
gradation together to get a continuous surface.  This process would go
faster on a flatter landscape of course, like where I live in the midwest.
I could see this taking a few days for a 10000x10000 pixel, several square
kilometer map, not years like Yadgar was projecting for his method.  This
might speed the process up a bit, but as far as automation, I just don't
know.  If you aren't afraid of a little tedium, I say go for it.

-Ben Scheele