POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : disk bug? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  disk bug? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: disk bug?
Date: 14 Nov 2002 11:47:24
Message: <3dd3d39c@news.povray.org>
In the following scene, I get the "camera inside non-hollow object" warning - is
this a (previously unreported) bug?

I get the warning even when (as in the scene below) the camera is positioned
outside the radius of the disk. In other words the disk behaves like a plane.

Ideally, I suppose one might expect never to get this warning with a disk,
unless the camera was inside the radius of the disk and at the same height as
the disk, but I imagine that this is not possible. At anyrate, even if not a
bug, it might be worth a comment in the docs...

#version 3.5;

#include "colors.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

camera {
  location  <0.0, 0, -20.0>
  look_at   <0.0, 0,  0.0>
}

light_source {
  0*x
  color rgb <1,1,1>
  translate <40, 80,0>
}

disc{<0,2,0>,z,1 pigment{White}}

--
#macro A(V,B,C,R)#while(B-256)#if(V-128/B>=0)sphere{0,.5translate<C-4R-1,9>
pigment{rgb<1-C/8R/2C/8>}}#local V=V-128/B;#end#local B=B*2;#local C=C+1;#

Post a reply to this message

"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
> In the following scene, I get the "camera inside non-hollow object"
warning - is
> this a (previously unreported) bug?
>
> I get the warning even when (as in the scene below) the camera is
positioned
> outside the radius of the disk. In other words the disk behaves like a
plane.

> Ideally, I suppose one might expect never to get this warning with a disk,
> unless the camera was inside the radius of the disk and at the same height
as
> the disk, but I imagine that this is not possible. At anyrate, even if not
> bug, it might be worth a comment in the docs...

I thought disc was described in the Doc as being like a plane.

Ah ha! Yes it is, just checked. Says:

Note: The inside of a disc is the inside of the plane that contains the
disc. Also note that it is not constrained by the radius of the disc.

Post a reply to this message

"hughes, b." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message

> Ah ha! Yes it is, just checked. Says:
>
> Note: The inside of a disc is the inside of the plane that contains the
> disc. Also note that it is not constrained by the radius of the disc.

Oops - somehow (presumably because it's boxed) that was the only bit of the
entry on disks that I failed to read. Doh...

Post a reply to this message

> I thought disc was described in the Doc as being like a plane.
>
> Ah ha! Yes it is, just checked. Says:
>
> Note: The inside of a disc is the inside of the plane that contains the
> disc. Also note that it is not constrained by the radius of the disc.

Now, I have a question: Why is it so ?
Moreover, excepted for 'Camera insideness', is the 'Inside' test of a
disc ever used for something ? (media ? CSG intersection/difference
seems out of range...)
Was it for some 'interior texture vs exterior texture' ?