POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd Focal Blur Effect Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Odd Focal Blur Effect (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Dave Dunn
Subject: Odd Focal Blur Effect
Date: 22 Aug 2002 08:18:59
Message: <3D64D685.FBA7D46@aol.com>
I have come across something that I have never seen mentioned. When
using focal blur in the past, I have always made the focal_point and the
look_at the same. In a recent image, however, for artistic effect, I
made a change. I had an object off to the side of the look_at point and
made it the focal_point, leaving a good distance between the two. When I
applied focal blur, the area in focus was a meandering horizontal swath
across the image, rather than the more circular region you would expect.
There are probably some interesting possibilities there...

Post a reply to this message

> the area in focus was a meandering horizontal swath
> across the image, rather than the more circular region you would expect.

  Could you explain this in more detail? I didn't quite understand it.

  The amount of focal blur depends solely on the distance from the camera
location. It does not depend in any way in the location of the look_at point.

>   The amount of focal blur depends solely on the distance from the camera
> location. It does not depend in any way in the location of the look_at point.

That's what I thought, too, but I had no other explanation for what happened. I
don't have access to the image on this machine. I will try and post to p.b.i
later today.

Post a reply to this message

>   The amount of focal blur depends solely on the distance from the camera
> location. It does not depend in any way in the location of the look_at point.

No, but on the focal_point which does not have be the look_at point.  The
distance is calculated from the camera location and focal_point.  Nothing
else matters for that calculation.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde