POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mirrors should not reflect shadows Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  mirrors should not reflect shadows (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Bruno Gimeno
Subject: mirrors should not reflect shadows
Date: 26 May 2002 07:39:27
Message: <3cf0c96f$1@news.povray.org>
Imagine that you want to obtain an object, located in front of a mirror,
gives back a different image. Easy!  you will say, the new feateure
"no_reflection" should perfect for this....

In this image, we see a red sphere located in front of a mirror, marked with
no_reflection
http://usuarios.lycos.es/game2413/galeria/untitled1.jpg
Problem 1, the shade is visible through the mirror.

Good, you will say, I can fix it with "no_shadow"
http://usuarios.lycos.es/game2413/galeria/untitled2.jpg
Problem 2, the shade has disappeared.... but to this side of the mirror,
too! The absence of shades prevents to locate correctly to the sphere in the
image

Try to think about another thing...  we left the sphere, marked with
"no_reflection" and locate a box, only visible across the mirror, marked
with "no_image"

Problem 3, well, the shade of the box projects in the "real" side... but
over the sphere too.
http://usuarios.lycos.es/game2413/galeria/untitled3.jpg

we proved to clear box's shadows...
http://usuarios.lycos.es/game2413/galeria/untitled4.jpg
aha, now we have a box that projects round shades...

do anybody have an idea?

Bruno Gimeno
solo tendreis mi ordenador
cuando me arranqueis el teclado
de mis frios dedos muertos

PS using photohop is cheat!
http://usuarios.lycos.es/game2413/galeria/untitled5.jpg

Post a reply to this message

> Imagine that you want to obtain an object, located in front of a mirror,
> gives back a different image. Easy!  you will say, the new feateure
> "no_reflection" should perfect for this....
>
> In this image, we see a red sphere located in front of a mirror, marked with
> no_reflection
> http://usuarios.lycos.es/game2413/galeria/untitled1.jpg
> Problem 1, the shade is visible through the mirror.
>
> [...]

I think this is a design feature and can't be changed easily, but i can't
say for sure since i don't know how exactly 'no_reflection' etc. are
implemented.  I suppose you can solve it in your case by having two
instances of the floor object, one with diffuse finish and
'no_reflection', one without and 'no_image'.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 05 May. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______