POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mirrors should not reflect shadows : Re: mirrors should not reflect shadows Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mirrors should not reflect shadows
From: Charles
Date: 29 May 2002 21:00:32
Message: <3CF57AB6.992F8BF4@enter.net>
Bruno Gimeno wrote:

> Imagine that you want to obtain an object, located in front of a mirror,
> gives back a different image. Easy!  you will say, the new feateure
> "no_reflection" should perfect for this....
> [...snip...]
>do anybody have an idea?

Not so easy, as your full message points out. But here's something
you could do, although you would probably need to experiment a bit
to get it to look right.

1.) Create a scene with the cut box alone where the sphere is. Use a
   camera looking back at it from the other side of the mirror, removing
   the back wall, mirror and sphere. Render this.

2.) Use the results of 1.) as an image map on the "mirror" instead of
   "real" reflection. This is where the a lot of experimentation is
   needed: you must get the reverse camera's angle right to look
   like a believable reflection (not perfectly right, of course:
   this is a surreal scene you describe, so to some degree we expect
   it to look "unreal")

3.) Add back in the rest of the scene and remove the cut box.

This should make even a "no-post processing" purists happy, since
the map comes from POV itself even if it is from a separate step.