POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: 3.5 feature request - dynamic range compression Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.5 feature request - dynamic range compression (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Kari Kivisalo
Subject: Re: 3.5 feature request - dynamic range compression
Date: 12 Apr 2002 10:14:27
Message: <3CB6EBCE.1A83DA4D@luxlab.com>
George Pantazopoulos wrote:

> It would be a great feature for creators of realistic, high-dynamic range
> scenes ( with 1/r^2 lighting falloff ), to have POV-Ray be able to
> automatically compress the dynamic range of the output image, as seen on
> this web page: http://www.luxlab.com/c/compress.htm It would be especially
> handy for animations.

Automating this is not trivial but logarithmic or some other transfer
curve with adjustable compression factor may be usefull. The curve
presented on that page doesn't fit all cases. It's just an example to
break the 100% mental limit. For low contrast scenes there is dynamic
range expansion. Just flip the curve around the diagonal. I see these
as special cases of tonal range mapping.

Tweaking the curve by hand yields the best results. It's like working
in the dark room controlling the development, exposure and whatever
else photographers do there :)

_____________
Kari Kivisalo

Post a reply to this message

    Does the adc_bailout (in either radiosity or global settings) have to be
changed to a smaller value, in order to allow for true 48-bit resolution
output?
George

"Kari Kivisalo" <pro### [at] luxlabcom> wrote in message
> George Pantazopoulos wrote:
> >
> > It would be a great feature for creators of realistic, high-dynamic
range
> > scenes ( with 1/r^2 lighting falloff ), to have POV-Ray be able to
> > automatically compress the dynamic range of the output image, as seen on
> > this web page: http://www.luxlab.com/c/compress.htm It would be
especially
> > handy for animations.
>
> Automating this is not trivial but logarithmic or some other transfer
> curve with adjustable compression factor may be usefull. The curve
> presented on that page doesn't fit all cases. It's just an example to
> break the 100% mental limit. For low contrast scenes there is dynamic
> range expansion. Just flip the curve around the diagonal. I see these
> as special cases of tonal range mapping.
>
> Tweaking the curve by hand yields the best results. It's like working
> in the dark room controlling the development, exposure and whatever
> else photographers do there :)

> Kari Kivisalo

Post a reply to this message