POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.5 heightfield pattern question Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  3.5 heightfield pattern question (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tom A
Subject: 3.5 heightfield pattern question
Date: 6 Apr 2002 09:50:41
Message: <3CAF0B42.FE560F99@my-deja.com>
Hi!  Recently downloaded POV 3.5 and am trying to learn some of the new
features.

One thing I hoped to do was combine a heightfield with a granite pattern
(for mountains) with some other math functions (something like a sin
function so the edges of the mountains reduce to the foothills.)  Yet it
appears that the pattern cannot be mixed with the math functions - is
this true?  Or am I overlooking something.

Also, once I have my hightfield, I have heard that there is a way to
find intersections, so that I can place objects correctly on the
mountain.  I saw the <mumble mumble>Intersection function which takes a
vector, a position, and a third parameter, but I am not seeing what that
third parameter is?  Or am I going about this wrong?  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Tom A.

into that pit of cotton-top hell, and let them hippity-hop
all over my vulnerable flesh? - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Deja mail is gone.  Look for me at raugost at yahoo . com

On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 08:50:42 -0600, "Tom A." <tar### [at] my-dejacom> wrote:
> One thing I hoped to do was combine a heightfield with a granite pattern
> (for mountains) with some other math functions (something like a sin
> function so the edges of the mountains reduce to the foothills.)  Yet it
> appears that the pattern cannot be mixed with the math functions - is
> this true?  Or am I overlooking something.

IIRC you participated Shortest Code Contest. Take a look at my entry
http://10best.raytrace.com/short/ks3_800.JPG
http://10best.raytrace.com/short/ks3.pov
There is mixed usage of 3 types of function: math, spline and pattern.
Chapter 6.1.6.

Also look at below sample:
#local F1=function{pattern{agate}};
#local F2=function( a,b ) { a*b };
#local F3=function{pigment{granite}};
#local F4=function{spline{0,x,1,z}};
#local F=function{ F1(x,y,z) + F2(x,y) + F3(x,y,z).red + F4(z).x };

> Also, once I have my hightfield, I have heard that there is a way to
> find intersections, so that I can place objects correctly on the
> mountain.  I saw the <mumble mumble>

trace

> Intersection function which takes a
> vector, a position, and a third parameter, but I am not seeing what that
> third parameter is?

Direction of ray sended for intersection with object
Chapter 6.1.4.6

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 08:50:42 -0600, "Tom A." <tar### [at] my-dejacom> wrote:
> > One thing I hoped to do was combine a heightfield with a granite pattern
> > (for mountains) with some other math functions (something like a sin
> > function so the edges of the mountains reduce to the foothills.)  Yet it
> > appears that the pattern cannot be mixed with the math functions - is
> > this true?  Or am I overlooking something.
>
> IIRC you participated Shortest Code Contest. Take a look at my entry
> http://10best.raytrace.com/short/ks3_800.JPG
> http://10best.raytrace.com/short/ks3.pov
> There is mixed usage of 3 types of function: math, spline and pattern.
> Chapter 6.1.6.
>
> Also look at below sample:
> #local F1=function{pattern{agate}};
> #local F2=function( a,b ) { a*b };
> #local F3=function{pigment{granite}};
> #local F4=function{spline{0,x,1,z}};
> #local F=function{ F1(x,y,z) + F2(x,y) + F3(x,y,z).red + F4(z).x };

Thank you!  That did the trick.

> > Also, once I have my hightfield, I have heard that there is a way to
> > find intersections, so that I can place objects correctly on the
> > mountain.
>
> trace
>

> Direction of ray sended for intersection with object
> Chapter 6.1.4.6

Again, thank you!