POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Landscape Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Landscape (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tom A
Subject: Landscape
Date: 16 Jan 2002 15:07:47
Message: <3C45DD93.D9AAFFBA@my-deja.com>
Does anyone have any pointers for creating landscape?

I got the demo version of leveler and created a height field to work
with - it has hills, a dip for a stream, a whole for a lake, and a large
hill for putting a structure on it.

When I place the camera near the surface (person-eye-view) it looks OK,
mostly, shape wise.

Now I'm lost as to how to turn some of the steeper hills into rock
cliff, how to put a gravel path or road down, etc.

My first attempt used a y-gradient that made the ground grass colored,
and things above it gray for rocks - however, I'd like to give the
cliffs some more texture, and I'm still not sure how to put in a road.

Anyone have any pointers?

(I looked at using a copy of the height field map as an image map, but
at 200x200 pixels, it doesn't give the resolution I was hoping for;
besides, it's hard to work with - at least with the tools I have.)

(Another idea I had was using a lot more height fields - one or more for
the hill I want to build on, etc.  The trouble I can see with that is
the heightfields would have to connect well - which I don't think I can
do given my tools.)
--
Tom A.
"No doubt many that post deserve to be flamed.  And many that are flamed

Post a reply to this message