POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV and Quantum Mechanics? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:31:07 EDT (-0400)
  POV and Quantum Mechanics? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: POV and Quantum Mechanics?
Date: 12 Jan 2002 13:45:48
Message: <3C408458.962543F1@scifi-fantasy.com>
Hmm just getting to an internet connection where I can read the
POV NGs after a few days...

on the way up to Illinois for vacation, the reference to
the experiment used to test whether light is particles or
waves struck me as being interesting.

Question: Are POV photons waves, or particles? (or neither) ;)

As I don't currently have access to POV 3.5 b, I must ask
y'all to try this for me.

Construct a photon-using scene as follows:

area   wall w/1 slit in centre
light  |        |         |
*      |        |         |  white screen
       |        |         |
                wall w/2 slits dividing wall into 3 equal parts

I predict the following possible outcomes of this render:
1) the white screen will not be illuminated at all
2) the white screen will have an interference pattern on it
3) the white screen will have two lines with fuzzy edges
4) the white screen will have two lines with sharp edges

Another question: is polarisation possible in POV?

- Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com

Post a reply to this message

 Tim Cook <tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote:

> Question: Are POV photons waves, or particles? (or neither) ;)

Particles. Simulating the wave nature would require huge amounts of
processing power...

> I predict the following possible outcomes of this render:
> 1) the white screen will not be illuminated at all
> 2) the white screen will have an interference pattern on it
> 3) the white screen will have two lines with fuzzy edges
> 4) the white screen will have two lines with sharp edges

Depending on the width of the first slit and distance of the light,
either 1 or something like 3, with the fuzzyness depending on the number
of photons you used.

> Another question: is polarisation possible in POV?

No.
POV-Ray is not designed for physically correct simulation of optical
effects, it took a long time just for dispersion and photon mapping to
be added. Effects like diffraction are often difficult to implement,
very slow to compute, and would contribute little or nothing to the
majority of scenes.