POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV and Quantum Mechanics? : POV and Quantum Mechanics? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:36:33 EDT (-0400)
  POV and Quantum Mechanics?
From: Tim Cook
Date: 12 Jan 2002 13:45:48
Message: <3C408458.962543F1@scifi-fantasy.com>
Hmm just getting to an internet connection where I can read the
POV NGs after a few days...

on the way up to Illinois for vacation, the reference to
the experiment used to test whether light is particles or
waves struck me as being interesting.

Question: Are POV photons waves, or particles? (or neither) ;)

As I don't currently have access to POV 3.5 b, I must ask
y'all to try this for me.

Construct a photon-using scene as follows:

area   wall w/1 slit in centre
light  |        |         |
*      |        |         |  white screen
                wall w/2 slits dividing wall into 3 equal parts

I predict the following possible outcomes of this render:
1) the white screen will not be illuminated at all
2) the white screen will have an interference pattern on it
3) the white screen will have two lines with fuzzy edges
4) the white screen will have two lines with sharp edges

Another question: is polarisation possible in POV?

- Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com