POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Photons Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  POV Photons (Message 20 to 29 of 49)
From: ingo
Subject: Re: POV Photons
Date: 19 Nov 2001 07:00:29
Message: <Xns915E8452DC64Bseed7@povray.org>
in news:3bf8eeef@news.povray.org Warp wrote:

> Why does it go slower inside the
> object?

From Maxwells third and fourth

c = 1/(E0*U0)^0.5

E0 = electric permittivity for free space
U0 = magnetic permittivity for free space

E0 = 8.85 x 10^-12 C^2 N^-1 m^-2
U0 = 4pi x 10^-7 Wb A^-1 m^-1

c = 2.999 x 10^8 m s^-1

In matter E0 and U0 become E and U
For most optical materials is nearnly equal to unity so that

n = c/v = E^0.5

From some very old notes from optics class.

Ingo

From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 19 Nov 2001 07:02:07
Message: <MPG.1663135461d297709896bb@news.povray.org>
In article <3bf8ca76@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...

> extremely far apart from each other, which means that there's quite a lot of
> space between them; how come every and each one of the incoming photons are
> absorbed and none goes through the space between the atoms without never
> colliding with them?

You are thinking of photons as a kind of simple particle traveling along
a well-defined route from point A to point B.
But this is completely wrong when the photon is "near" some kind of
obstacle, thinking of it as a wave is a far better approximation in this
case -> since a wave can, at the same time, hit and miss ALL obstacles in
its path, it should be clear they all photons behave equally.

Lutz-Peter

Post a reply to this message