POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Photons : Re: POV Photons Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Photons
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 19 Nov 2001 15:47:40
Message: <MPG.16637d07e2ea1930989a60@news.povray.org>
>   I wasn't referring to electric current. I was referring to what happens
> in nuclear reactors (I think that it's called Tserenkov's phenomenon or
> something similar): Electrons travel in water faster than light, which
> causes a greenish glow (a kind of "sonic boom" but with light instead of
> sound).

Cerenkov Radiation.

AFAIR, subatomic particles travelling faster than the speed of light in
water (or air) hit the air, come to a (relatively) screeching halt and
dump their excess energy, some of which makes it into the blue end of the
visible spectrum.

If you want more info, I'll ask my friend who works on Nuclear systems.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.