POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: David Buck
Subject: Re: POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message
Date: 28 Aug 2001 12:50:31
Message: <3B8BCBFF.D23F077C@simberon.com>
Adrien Beau wrote:

> Ron Parker wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:06:34 -0500, Bob H. wrote:
> > >"extract" an e-mail from your Amiga?  You make it sound painful.  Thanks
> > >from me.
> >
> > It probably was painful.  It's not as though most Amigas have ethernet
> > interfaces, and the standard disk format is unreadable on a DOS machine,
> > so it would require a little effort.
>
> IIRC, Amiga could read and write DOS floppies (720 KB).
> Perhaps not shipped by default, though.
>
> I think the painful part was to reach the Amiga under the
> pile of debris in the back of the garage, then search which
> of the 5462 floppies contained that damn file.

The painful part is that the Amiga had two hard disks - the boot disk and the
work disk.  The boot disk was corrupted and was giving frequent read/write
errors.  I was only able to boot it by powering on and off and hitting cancel
on all the warning windows.  It would only work once in every 20 times or so.
The second painful thing was that I couldn't find the Amiga keyboard so all I
had at my disposal was a mouse.  I had to find a program that could read and
display a text file.  This program had to work entirely with the mouse and
require no keyboard input.  My word processor would normally work except that
the Amiga booted into hi-res mode and used up too much Chip memory for the word
processor to run.  Other programs couldn't see the Work: drive.  My IBM file
writing utilities required that I type in di0: which I couldn't do without a
keyboard.  I was finally able to get PKZip to find and display the file.  I
then typed it into my IBM laptop.  Not elegant, but it worked.  This is why I
said it was a painful extraction.

David

Post a reply to this message