POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message : Re: POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Origins - the original creation message
From: Alberto
Date: 28 Aug 2001 14:32:11
Message: <3B8BE329.8F8207A7@usb.ve>
David Buck wrote:

Beautiful piece of history about POV-Ray.

> If you decide to do this, I would like to place a few rules on the
> packages (or at least those developed from DKB):
>
>   - they will remain freely distributable
>   - support and maintenance of this new product will be undertaken by
> the STAR team (including but not limited to myself)
>   - the programs will remain as portable as possible
>
> What do you think of this proposal?
>

> David Buck

It's nice to see how this fundamental rules remained in time.

To me it was hard to find POV-Ray. Soon after version 3 was released I
discovered it because Roman Maeder, one of the creators of the Mathematica
package, rendered some polyhedra with POV-Ray and there was  a link to
povray.org. To my greatest joy a version for the mac operating system was also
available. Nowadays this situation has changed drastically. If you go to Google
and ask for ray tracing, the first entry of the search is the internet ray
tracing competition.

Alberto.