POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Brick arch???? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Brick arch???? (Message 21 to 23 of 23)
From: Shawn
Subject: Re: Brick arch????
Date: 3 May 2001 22:24:34
Message: <3AF2133B.4080406@orthanc.ab.ca>
Holy War?? LOL! I'll grab a helmet then!
OK, next question...how does it work exactly? I was taking a quess on
what it does, like I mentioned, my French was not up to snuff. (Wonder
where me ol' verb conjugation book went to?) Actually, what you say
about uv mapping makes sense to me, I did notice some odd things when I
brought an old scene file into megapov and added some uv mapping,
hopefully to better wrap my brick texture (Not the scene I need help
with) As I'm new to megapov, I likely overlooked something. I had a look
at the include file for 13 Horror (Author escapes me for the moment) and
he DID use a radial texture and some csg for the same effect I'm trying
to get. However, this approach will only work for one row of bricks. If
you want several rows, you either need to make multiple csgs or come up
with something else. As has been mentioned, isos would look far better,
and I will experiment with them for sure, but having an alternate method
for things not in the center of attention would be handy, and kinder on
my render time.

> Shawn wrote:
>
>>  From what I can gather, it seems similar to MPovs Uv mapping?
>

> Not at all. UV mapping is defined by the object and some object do not
> have UVmapping
> <Holy war>
> That why I think UVmapping is not a good thing for POV.
> When the renderer only handle triangles and nurbs, UVmapping
> is probably mandatory. But with object like julia, true CSG,
> and isosurface, it's really impossible to have homogeneous
> UVmapping.
> <End of Holy war>
>
>> Does it
>> deform the object or the texture?
>

> Only the texture. You still need a normal object.

Post a reply to this message