POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Request (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Peter Hertel
Subject: SV: Request
Date: 29 Aug 2000 11:49:18
Message: <39abdb7e$1@news.povray.org>
> It's called combobox and on my computer it's 15 entries long which i found
quite
> enough.  NTL, it shouldn't be a great problem to modify that, but there
will be
> problems with lower screen resolutions.
>
> I'm not sure but maybe there is a major redesign of the Windows GUI anyway
(I
> don't know), so this would become obsolete.

Mine is 20entries long, and I use almost everyone regulary.
In case of a remake, I hope it won't take longer to change resolution, since
I do it very often.
I'd like a way to change the icons too :) To make you own "skin" to the GUI.

--
Peter
http://hertel.no/bigone

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Hertel
Date: 29 Aug 2000 11:49:20
Message: <39abdb80@news.povray.org>
> You could just change the list itself, so that things you use switch
between
> frequently are close together on the list.  Just change your quickres.ini
file.
> Hope that helps.

good idea!

--
Peter
http://hertel.no/bigone

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Hertel
Date: 29 Aug 2000 11:49:21
Message: <39abdb81@news.povray.org>
> not only are there quality settings you can put in your ini file, but
> you can also use your own variables to set your own settings.  for
> example, #declare a variable called MyQuality or something and then use
> #if to see what it is set to at various key places in your scene, using
> it as a switch to turn features on or off.  There is also the
> quick_color keyword which is used to specify a simple color for use in
> previews rather than the full texture.

I just hoped I could get past that extra coding ;)

--
Peter
http://hertel.no/bigone

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: SV: Request
Date: 29 Aug 2000 11:59:24
Message: <39abdddc@news.povray.org>
Peter Hertel <pet### [at] hertelno> wrote:
: Why rotate degrees(etan2(A/B)) instead of rotate etan(A/B)?
: I know it's nothing big, and there surely are a reason they are like they
: are, I just don't know why.

  Radians are mathematically more suitable than degrees. This is specially
true when calculating things like integrals and differentials.

  If anything, I wonder why rotate uses degrees and not radians.

  And btw, it's atan(), not etan().

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Aug 2000 13:25:03
Message: <39ABF227.DCB9B4F4@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Peter Hertel wrote:

[...]
> I'd like a way to change the icons too :) To make you own "skin" to the GUI.

That's no problem, just get you a ressource editor and change them.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

From: David Fontaine
Date: 29 Aug 2000 17:15:06
Message: <39AC25A4.10D02B8A@faricy.net>
Peter Hertel wrote:

> Why rotate degrees(etan2(A/B)) instead of rotate etan(A/B)?
> I know it's nothing big, and there surely are a reason they are like they
> are, I just don't know why.

Trig uses radians because it is mathematically the simpler, more meaningful
and more correct measure to use. Object transforms use degrees because it is
to most a more familiar system for visualization.
Perhaps POV should have a switching option, like on a calculator:
#declare transform_angle_type = radian;
#declare trig_angle_type = degree;

--
David Fontaine   <dav### [at] faricynet>   ICQ 55354965
Please visit my website:  http://davidf.faricy.net/

Post a reply to this message

From: Ian Witham
Date: 29 Aug 2000 23:25:08
Message: <39ac7e94@news.povray.org>
"David Fontaine" <dav### [at] faricynet> wrote in message
> Perhaps POV should have a switching option, like on a calculator:
> #declare transform_angle_type = radian;
> #declare trig_angle_type = degree;

I second this... It seems a bit silly that the angle type should be
inconsistent by default with no way of changing it.

--

Ian

Inkwell: Ian's Homepage
http://www.topcities.com/cartoon/inkwell/index.htm

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 30 Aug 2000 09:46:40
Message: <39ad1040@news.povray.org>
David Fontaine <dav### [at] faricynet> wrote:
: Perhaps POV should have a switching option, like on a calculator:
: #declare transform_angle_type = radian;
: #declare trig_angle_type = degree;

  I think that the best place for those is the global_settings block.

From: Chris Huff
Date: 30 Aug 2000 10:36:00
Message: <chrishuff-62DBC4.09373330082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39ad1040@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   I think that the best place for those is the global_settings block.

Actually, if they are added, it would probably be better to have them
switchable from any point in the file, like the #version keyword.
Otherwise, include files would require certain global_settings and could
conflict with each other.
But it probably isn't a very good idea, since it will add the
uncertainty of *what* degree measurement is being used. I know there are
inconsistencies between functions and transforms, and even between
functions, but these may be easier to deal with than having everything
changeable.

A better solution might be degrees() and radians() functions which
automatically convert the values being input and would work anywhere,
regardless of the default measurement used, unfortunately, those names
are already being used by functions which really should be named
something like deg2rad() and rad2deg().

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Hertel
Subject: SV: SV: Request
Date: 30 Aug 2000 13:21:02
Message: <39ad427e@news.povray.org>
> > I'd like a way to change the icons too :) To make you own "skin" to the
GUI.

> That's no problem, just get you a ressource editor and change them.

A what? Got a name on an application I can use?

--
Peter
http://hertel.no/bigone