POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Multi-machine rendering... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Multi-machine rendering... (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Fran Firman
Subject: Multi-machine rendering...
Date: 19 Oct 2000 01:02:53
Message: <39EE6FCC.A1554EA7@email.com>
I'm currently working on a way to use the many machines at work to
render over automatically, with out having to setup things like pvm....

So if written a perl script to control some clients.

It uses ssh for the transport method.
Tar+gzip to have an archive to send over to the clients, and to get back
the files/ images

screen - to monitor the clients.

To do thou:
	allow clients to go away and come back.
	if a client is given a job, and it stops/ never comes back, to recover
and re-do that job
	allow the rendeing to stop half way and continue from there.

So is this something that people are interested in???

TO give you an idea I did an anim last night 320x240 x140 frames with aa
over 4 machines and it took 88 mins... The four pcs are
PII - 400
PII - 333
PIII - 650
Pentium - 200

Cheers
Fran

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 03:51:40 +0000, Fran Firman <ffi### [at] emailcom>
wrote:

>I'm currently working on a way to use the many machines at work to
>render over automatically, with out having to setup things like pvm....

>So if written a perl script to control some clients.

<snip>

>So is this something that people are interested in???

You might as well post it because you've already made it :) I don't
know if many people will use it, it depends on whether they want to
and can install pvm, as there is a pvm version of MegaPOV already.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet