POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Min dist betw. pts Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Min dist betw. pts (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Min dist betw. pts
Date: 24 Sep 2000 20:42:38
Message: <39ce9f7e@news.povray.org>
Any theory for the minimum distance expected between n evenly spaced
points on a sphere?

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Min dist betw. pts
Date: 25 Sep 2000 04:17:01
Message: <39cf09fd@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson <"gregj;-)56590\""@aol.c;-)om> wrote:
: Any theory for the minimum distance expected between n evenly spaced
: points on a sphere?

  Define "evenly spaced".

From: Ken
Date: 25 Sep 2000 10:15:20
Message: <39CF5D2F.B3A3A082@pacbell.net>

http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/papers/known-math/index/spheres.html

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 26 Sep 2000 08:37:28
Message: <39D09745.A1FF7B25@my-dejanews.com>
Warp wrote:

> Greg M. Johnson <"gregj;-)56590\""@aol.c;-)om> wrote:
> : Any theory for the minimum distance expected between n evenly spaced
> : points on a sphere?
>
>   Define "evenly spaced".

as far apart as they goin' to git  on the surface given a diminishing rate of
return in an iterative algorithm that puts them further and further apart.

I was actually hoping for a table, so I could check my algorithm for evenly
spacing points on a sphere.  I was using a method I saw from (Paul Bourke?)
which was painstakingly slow.  I later just applied the flocking repulsion
algorithm and got good results after a dozen iterations.

The most relevant page I found from Ken's link was at
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/papers/known-math/96/sph.rand
All this stuff was just out of reach for me mathematically, although I don't
know why.

Post a reply to this message