POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Min dist betw. pts : Re: Min dist betw. pts Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:10:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Min dist betw. pts
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 26 Sep 2000 08:37:28
Message: <39D09745.A1FF7B25@my-dejanews.com>
Warp wrote:

> Greg M. Johnson <"gregj;-)56590\""@aol.c;-)om> wrote:
> : Any theory for the minimum distance expected between n evenly spaced
> : points on a sphere?
>
>   Define "evenly spaced".

as far apart as they goin' to git  on the surface given a diminishing rate of
return in an iterative algorithm that puts them further and further apart.

I was actually hoping for a table, so I could check my algorithm for evenly
spacing points on a sphere.  I was using a method I saw from (Paul Bourke?)
which was painstakingly slow.  I later just applied the flocking repulsion
algorithm and got good results after a dozen iterations.

The most relevant page I found from Ken's link was at
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/papers/known-math/96/sph.rand
All this stuff was just out of reach for me mathematically, although I don't
know why.